DGV Nav

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Inspired by Art: Sophisticated Rural

The massive online auction site invaluable.com is a great source for design inspiration.  A room inspired by a piece of their artwork is an excited idea.  I love to design but I especially love a creative challenge: I chose a piece I loved from their site and created a space around it.  Oh happy day!  

Sophisticated Rural

Sophisticated Rural by rebecca-iverson 
I chose a beautiful oil painting entitled Karouev/Dan Farm (auctioned October 21st here).  I had a difficult time choosing a favorite work of art because, let me tell you, there are so many.  I didn't choose this particular piece because it was expensive.  The starting bid is only $70 but what do I care, it's gorgeous and makes me happy to look at it.  Also, I knew it would be the starting point for one gorgeous room.  
The first element I chose to go along with my painting is the rug.  I love that the geometric design mimics the roof-lines in the painting.  I also like the high contrast and almost quilt-like design.  The painting pre-determined that the space would involve contemporary country design elements and this rug looks a bit like a quilt.  I believe a simple blue sofa is perfect on this rug and in this space.
I next envisioned grass-cloth wallpaper that would cover the bottom portion of the wall divided by a chair rail.  Above the chair rail would be painted a soft gray-blue that would be a continuation of sky from the painting.  I love the combination of the earthy and warm grass-cloth and the soft airy blue above.  Just like the painting.  
The curtain fabric is a soft tonal silk check.  I like the traditional country pattern for this space but the silk fabric is a sophisticated juxtaposition to the textural grass cloth.  Also, the soft colors help the pattern keep out of competition with the rug.  
I brought in a touch of green with the beautiful lamps.  I wanted a hit of green but not too much.  
The Chippendale chairs would face the couch and they reinforce the natural and casual theme but keep it up to date with their strong line.  Because the grass-cloth has multiple shades of brown I was able to use a few different wood tones:  The chairs and the side tables are different wood tones but they are both in the grass-cloth and the painting.  
To finish off the space, a white branchy chandelier would hang over an ottoman or coffee table.  I like that it is light in effect and wouldn't compete with the other elements, but it is still a strong statement.

I hope you love this painting and the room it inspired as much as I do! There are so many paintings over on Invaluable.com's site available here. There are literally hundreds of fantastic pieces ranging greatly in price. Let me know what you think and be sure to go bid on this painting if you are interested.

2 comments:

  1. I would absolutely want to live in this luscious space you created. I truly hope you are able to turn this talent and passion into a vocation or avocation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lesley! You are such a great support to me.

      Rebecca

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...