DGV Nav

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Favorite Thing: A Shelf Isn't a Shelf When it's a Crown

 Even though Gwenna has a beautiful upholstered headboard, there is still quite a lot of extra space above it that I wanted to do something with.  I can't take credit for this find though.  My mom was out looking and spotted this little shelf.  Yes, this is meant to be a shelf and I have it turned the wrong way up.  Well, why not?  Doesn't it look just like a crown?  My mom thought so and I agree. Not only a crown, but a cornice meant to have fabric draping from it like a half canopy.  I don't know if I will do that or not.  It might end up being too much with the headboard.  But I am still tossing the idea around.  
 I like that it blends well in the room.  It doesn't shout for attention but adds a lovely bit of detail and girliness.
My mom snagged for $20 at a local antique shop.
You can see that the underside (or the top of the shelf) is really pretty and ornate.  It is something interesting to look at from Gwenna's vantage point first thing in the morning or while she is lulling off to sleep in the afternoon.  Good spotting, Mom!  Thank you.

Tres French Paris Apartment Canopy Crown
etsy.com
Here is an actual cornice available on etsy for $235.  Mine in comparison, was an incredible find even though it isn't a real cornice.  All I need are a few hardware pieces if I want it to be.  This one is much bigger but it would overwhelm Gwenna's bed anyway.

Hope this encourages you to look at things beyond their intended use.  You might be surprised by what you come up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...