DGV Nav

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Minor Obsession: Gone With the Wind and Emerald Green

I read Gone With the Wind in high school.  I think it is a much better option for a teenage girl than the Twilight books but I digress.  It's a bit funny to me that we all love Scarlett O'Hara so much, because when I read the book and when I watch the movie I actually really dislike her.  Don't you?  But after a while I remember back on her as strong and beautiful as opposed to selfish, vain, and greedy.  

When I think of the color emerald green I instantly think of Scarlett O'Hara in Gone with the Wind.    Especially the scene where she asks her mammy make a dress out of her mother's poitiers.  Scarlett (Vivien Leigh) wore green throughout the movie, as a subtle symbol of her Irish background and envious nature.  I absolutely LOVE green.  It is one of the most sophisticated colors there is.  


Even with a sour expression she is stunning in emerald.  Here are a few inspiring rooms and gorgeous items that prove that emerald is the empress of colors:
Wouldn't these curtains make a chic gown like Scarlet O'Hara's?  
decorating with emerald green
Punchy green in a creamy space feels very garden inspired.
Emerald Green
Green wood-grain wallpaper in the backs of the built-ins makes blues and reds pop. 
emerald green bracelet | ruche
This bracelet is on my wish list.
.
The perfect cocktail ring.  
so pretty
Just so pretty.
LIVING ROOM / EMERALD GREEN / LIGHTING
For those who want emerald green everywhere, this is stunning.


@Hyo Joo:  This is the green I like for your house:)
I think emerald never looked so good.  What beautiful use of color, pattern and texture.
forest green skinnies & boots
Green pants look very equestrian.  Like a modern day Scarlett O'Hara riding through the plantation.  
emerald green cabinet

This Richardson designed guest room shows that even a little bit of this fabulous color works wonders in a black and white space.  
love it- pops of emerald green Steven Gambrel Portfolio Image looks like my living room! Portfolio Image
Can we all just agree that that ottoman is fantastic?
homedesign.marthastewart
Green lattice fabric is a perfect contemporary choice for a fresh look on a traditional chair or pair of chairs.

Flea-market-chest-turned-bathroom-storage; painted Rust-Oleum's Hunter Green.    #bathroom #storage
Fun but not overly bold in a white bathroom.

A friend of mine wanted to paint her drab front door a beautiful color.  Of course I suggested green, especially since the interior of her home has soft green walls.  I like it when the front door hints at things to come:

@Hyo Joo: front door color?
This front door was our inspiration.  I wish I knew what color it was; it has such depth.
BEFORE:  It was a reddish brown. 

AFTER:  Now the doors are a lovely green and the beige house with brown trim has a very "town and country" vibe.  

Because the front doors are in the shade more, we didn't want to go too dark, neither did we want to go bright.  I think this color is just right.


Are you loving emerald yet?  Sorry if you aren't because it is the new color of 2013. 

2 comments:

  1. I love emerald green! It adds such a bold pop of color against the white.

    Nora
    www.penchantforpretty.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nora! I heartily agree.
    Have a great weekend!

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...