DGV Nav

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Sweet Spot Sunday: Making Your Home the Sweetest Spot

I am helping a good friend tweak her house long distance and this project got me thinking about decorating in general.  What is important to remember when we are decorating our homes?
My first thoughts about the topic are things that I have learned from helping others and doing things in my own home. * I really believe that decorating is a very personal endeavor and that we should never let the opinions of others interfere with what we love and how we want to feel at home.  I have always loved white furniture and have often had others laugh about my ready paintbrush.  I don't care because I know what I like and what I want to create. * Don't be paralyzed by trends or tradition.  See both of these things as just more options that are available to you.  If you love lots of color, by all means paint away!  Paint your walls, floors, furniture (unless it is a VERY valuable antique) etc until you are in love with your home and feel at peace with what you have created. * Always consider the house you have not the house you wish you had.  Decorate to make your existing house look the best it can.  If you have a builder grade track house, give it character and interest in ways that make sense. * Don't let your budget determine your style.  I feel very strongly about this last one.  I don't have much money either, but it is amazing what you can do when you are determined and let your imagination break through budgetary barriers.

Here are what the experts say.  Listen up, they know what they are talking about!

1. " Mix and  Match with panache.  Don't be tentative with patterns.  If you keep your color scheme     restrained, you can approach patterns with wild abandon." Jonathan Adler via Elle Decor
Sarah Richardson via Splendid Design
Sarah Richardson uses no fewer than 12 patterns in her designs.  Here she mixes more than 12 gracefully because she has a tight color scheme of red, white and blue.  It makes the room interesting, fun and fresh.

2.  "Design is coming to grips with one's real lifestyle, one's real place in the world.  Rooms should not be put together for show but to nourish one's well-being."  Albert Hadley via  budget decorating
Perfect for an apartment or small living room.
pinterest via Angela Stoehr
This space looks increadably comfortable as well as romantic and stylish.  Think about how you use your space:  Is a night-time spot?  Add candles and tons of down-filled pillows.  Also make sure that the colors you have chosen look good in low light as well as in the day time.  Remember, also, that a sofa can be comfortable and stylish!
3. " The first rule of decoration is that you can break almost all the other rules." Billy Baldwin via interior design quotes
Check out the mix in this dining space:  modern art sculpture, a huge horse photograph, yellow chairs and double rugs.  Might some people dislike this room?  Sure.  Who cares?  You shouldn't if you love it and feel good in it.

4.  "Don't buy a bedroom suite, but collect your pieces separately-generally cheaper and always the decorator's way of furnishing."  Dorothy Draper via interior design quotes
In Richardson's farmhouse master bedroom she creates a warm, sunshiny space by mixing a variety of furniture.   No matching bedroom suite in sight.
5.  "There is nothing more trite than a period room imposed on a contemporary setting." Van Day Truex via interior design quotes
red chairs. love!
pinterest via design sponge
Many of us (including myself) love rustic pieces.  The trick is to make sure it doesn't feel stuffy when placed all together in the home.  Again, the color pallette is very important.  The all white of the above room searves to freshen up the rustic elements of the end chairs and pendant light.  The bold pops of color are also important for keeping things light hearted.

6.  "If I were asked to say what is at once the most important production of Art and the thing most to be longed for, I should answer, a beautiful house." William Morris via interior design quotes

I could keep writing, because I have a LOT to say on this topic but I will save it for another post.  Have a lovely Sunday everyone!

2 comments:

  1. I agree wholeheartedly! Pattern mixing is my favorite :) Great ideas

    When Mine Became Ours

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that quote that rooms should be put together not to show but to promote your well being. So inspirational. All of these spaces are gorgeous! I love how they incorporate different pieces and patterns but look so fitting together.
    -Jessi
    haircutandgeneralattitude.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...